BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC development status.

2016-03-22 14:01:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC development status.
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 19:00:17 +0100

Il 22/03/2016 16:28, Nicholas Hall ha scritto:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 5:31 AM Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it> wrote:
Hi,
this question has been asked before and I know I might be beating a dead horse.
Hopefully the horse is not quite dead... yet ;)

Questions are:
What is the current status of BackupPC development?
Released versions are now over one year old; is the project still alive?

At the least, I'd like to see a new master code repository and issue tracker that we can start contributing to and get v4 out of alpha.

I think there is a lot of local repos people have created and patched that is floating out there with no real home to go to.

I do concur.

A quick search on github reveals 87 (!) repositories backuppc-related, many of them with recent activity.
IMHO this means there is people willing to keep this project alive, but someone should step forward and lead.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to volunteer for such position, but, as said before, I'm willing to help.

As Nicholas rightly said one of the first steps should be to chose a new (or restructure an old) home for the Project and
to publicize it wherever feasible (at least on this list and, if possible, on the original Sourceforge page) in order to attract
all developers currently floating around without a gravity center.
I think we have several possibilities:
  1. create an "official" page on github.
  2. revamp the old SourceForge page.
  3. chose something else.

My personal preference goes to (1), but I'm completely open to any (sensible) proposal.
If required I can contribute my personal redmine+git server, but I think a more "official" home would be better.
In any case I strongly suggest we chose something with integrated team support. The bare minimum should be:

  • SCM repo (git)
  • bug/feature tracker.
  • forums.

Especially in the first setup phase also an IRC channel on Freenode would be very useful.

I really beg some of the knowledgeable people to step forward and lead the crowd out of the swamps.

Thanks
Mauro