BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using Amazon AWS S3/Glacier with BackupPC

2016-03-17 19:53:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using Amazon AWS S3/Glacier with BackupPC
From: Jim Wilcoxson <prirun AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 23:51:59 +0000 (UTC)
Marcel Meckel <mailinglist+backuppc-users <at> foobar0815.de> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Amazon offers amongst other services one named S3* (Simple Storage
> Service, moderate
> price with low latency) and Glacier* (extremely cheap storage, retrieval
> can take hours,
> perfect for backups only needed when disaster strikes).
>
> With the correct config rules in place, files uploaded to S3 can be
> moved to Glacier
> automatically, e.g. when the file's age is >= 14 days.

Hi Marcel - I'd suggest you store files in S3 Infrequent Access instead of
Glacier.  S3IA costs 1.2 cents/GB/mo - not much more than .7 cents/GB/mo for
Glacier, and is much more flexible.  There's also Google Nearline for 1
cent/GB/mo and Backblaze B2 for .5 cents/GB/mo.

Glacier is not very flexible storage.  I did a writeup about it here:

http://www.hashbackup.com/technical/glacier-eol

Jim (author of HashBackup)