BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backuppc logging and checksum caching

2016-02-12 00:09:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc logging and checksum caching
From: Kevin McCall <qombi AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 05:08:08 +0000 (UTC)
Hello,

I have a few questions that maybe someone will be so kind to answer. The first question I believe I know the answer after reading through the BackupPC documentation.

1. Am I correct in understanding that I must have compression enabled to take advantage of the checksum caching option for full backups only, incremental behavior does not change whether I have compressed or uncompressed files?
2. Would it be beneficial to enable compression solely to take advantage of this feature? The reason I disabled compression is because most all data being backed up is already compressed.

The documentation states:

Starting in 2.1.0, BackupPC supports optional checksum caching, which means the block and file checksums only need to be computed once for each file. This results in a significant performance improvement. This only works for compressed pool files. It is enabled by adding

'--checksum-seed=32761',

3. Lastly, this question may be a tough one or not possible at all. I love the history option to view files that have been removed, added, or modified. Is there a way to grep this information from the command line or something to that nature? With many level deep directories it can be difficult to determine if any files have been added, modified, or deleted after a backup.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!