BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] local host backups

2016-02-11 06:07:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] local host backups
From: "Philip Parsons (Velindre - Medical Physics)" <Philip.Parsons AT wales.nhs DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 10:50:41 +0000

Dear all,

This has probably been asked numerous times, but I can’t find a lot of detail on the internet.

Firstly, I’m assuming that I should be backing up localhost for backuppc.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  I thought that it would be sensible to have a backup of the settings and exclude all the cpool etc.  If that is correct, I thought that I should use rsync as the backup would be more accurate than tar.  Does this seem reasonable?  I also thought that I should run this backup without any compression so that it could in theory be restored without the need for backuppc.  Please correct me if any of these things don’t make sense.

I also have a fairly large folder on the same server that I’d like to backup with compression turned on.  Is it possible to split the localhost backup into 2?  Can I create 2 hosts with the same name and exclude each other’s files and have one running with compression and one without?  Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Phil.