BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate failed

2016-01-18 04:19:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate failed
From: David Rotger <davidrotger AT gmail DOT com>
To: General list for user discussion questions and support <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:18:33 +0100
This is my localhost.pl, it's very diferent...

#
# Local server backup of /etc as user backuppc
#
$Conf{XferMethod} = 'tar';

$Conf{TarShareName} = [
  '/data'
];

$Conf{TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C $tarPath -c -v -f - -C $shareName --totals';

# remove extra shell escapes ($fileList+ etc.) that are
# needed for remote backups but may break local ones
$Conf{TarFullArgs} = '$fileList';
$Conf{TarIncrArgs} = '--newer=$incrDate $fileList';
$Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
  '/data'
];
$Conf{ArchiveDest} = '/mnt/smb';

And my sudoers:

backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync

Many thanks, tomorrow I will check the config. I'am using Debian 8 and installed backuppc from repos. I have an external HD mount bind to backuppc. It's strange the ssh....

El 15/1/2016 22:56, "Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom" <chrome AT real-time DOT com> escribió:
On 01/14 10:42 , David Rotger wrote:
> and now I can connect from user backuppc to localhost without password. And
> the restore work!!!

Glad you got things solved!
It seems strange to me, to use ssh to back up the local machine. Here's the
configuration I use in localhost.pl, to back up the BackupPC server itself.
This uses plain tar, running with sudo in order to get the necessary
permissions to back up all the files, even the ones owned by root.
(Note that the BackupPC data pool is on disks separate from the root
filesystem, so if the root disks die this can be used to recover the
configuration).

You may find this useful for backing up files like /etc/shadow.

Here are the contents of /etc/backuppc/localhost.pl. Note that there are
some extraneous line wraps:
#
# Local server backup as user backuppc
#

# dunno why it needs to ping
$Conf{PingCmd} = '/bin/true';

$Conf{XferMethod} = 'tar';

# let it back itself up anytime it wants to.
$Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [];

$Conf{TarShareName} = ['/'];

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/proc', '/sys', '/var/lib/backuppc',
'/var/log', '/tmp', '/var/tmp', '/mnt', '/media'];

$Conf{TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/sudo $tarPath -c -v -f
- -C $shareName --totals';

# remove extra shell escapes ($fileList+ etc.) that are
# needed for remote backups but may break local ones
$Conf{TarFullArgs} = '$fileList';
$Conf{TarIncrArgs} = '--newer=$incrDate $fileList';

# turning off compression on these files, so they can be recovered without
# backuppc.
# wouldn't make sense to need your backup server,
# in order to recover your backup server, now would it?
$Conf{CompressLevel} = 0;

Here is the relevant line from /etc/sudoers, which gives the necessary
permissions:
# allow backuppc to run as root, in order to get all the files
backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/tar

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator