BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature request: remote pools (was: Is it possible to split a large pool?)

2015-11-13 04:44:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature request: remote pools (was: Is it possible to split a large pool?)
From: Micha Kersloot <micha AT kovoks DOT nl>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:21:40 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

----- Original Message -----

This is more or less the way we move machines to another backup server. If a
server is getting somewhat full, we buy a new server, backup some of the client
servers to this new backup server and after a while remove the backups from the
old server. So that is already possible with the current version of BackupPC.
The only thing that seems to be solved in your proposal is that the management
can be done from one server instead of managing multiple servers. I think that
is not the biggest problem. Our problem is that we lose the history when moving
a client backup to another backup server. The only thing we could come up with
to solve this a little bit is to implement a new server long before the old one
is really full and then let the backup run on this new server for a longer time
to create a new history before deleting it from the old server. If it can help
anyone, here is our procedure.

1. If backup server is > 70% full, request new server.
2. Backup some of the clients on new server, hold backup on the old server.
3. Let the backup on the new server run for > 3 months
4. Delete backup from old server and hope there are no restore request for data
older than 3 months.

It's a bit of a hassle, but BackupPC is totally worth it!

Greetings,

Micha Kersloot

www.kovoks.nl | www.mailcasa.eu | Twitter.com/kovoks
E info AT kovoks DOT nl