BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Feature request: remote pools (was: Is it possible to split a large pool?)

2015-11-12 19:05:36
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Feature request: remote pools (was: Is it possible to split a large pool?)
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: Russell Poyner <russell.poyner AT wisc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 00:03:11 +0000
Hi

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:21:18 -0600, Russell Poyner
<russell.poyner AT wisc DOT edu> wrote:
> I have a single BackupPC 3.3 backing up 110 machines. We are in the
> process of getting a second server and I'm wondering if it's possible
> to split the pool to move machines to the new server without losing
> their backup history.

        This make me recall that i also had a similar problem and that
all this could be solved with "remote pools"

        So this is a new feature, where a central backuppc server could
use other remote pool to store the backups.

        So imagine one main office with 2 other remote offices (and with
slow internet connections). The main office would backup to it own
storage, but when backing up the remote offices, it would connect to
a branch backuppc located in the remote office and start the backup of
the remote office machines locally. On each backup, report back to the
main backuppc.

        This allow one to have a central backuppc with the list of all
backups have 3 different pools (to keep things simple, not shared,
hardlinks are unique only in each pool).

        One can make backups of different kind of machines or remote
branches or expand the backup pool to several machines. This also
allow one to "migrate" backups by reconfiguring a host from one pool to
another and wait some days to have new backups on the new pool and expire
old backups on the old pool. Yes, this would require a new full total
backup on the new pool, but any server migration always require a full
read&copy of the data, one way or another.

        This would help several setups and would not require many changes.
        Each node is almost independent of the other, host config could be
shared via ssh/rsync. Backuppc would need code for map a host to a
pool, connect to that pool to start the backup (again ssh to locally
run backuppc commands) and report (pull or push) the status
to main backuppc (or all nodes if no master setup)... again, ssh
could be used to transfer status to the other nodes. Logs and browser
backups would use the ssh and request the same info on the remote
backuppc node.

        So does this sound good and simple solution for a flexible
pool management

Thanks
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a