BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] So I think I need to keep more incremental backups

2015-08-06 18:41:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] So I think I need to keep more incremental backups
From: xpac <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 15:39:53 -0700
Basically I've got things set up where I run full backups every Friday, and
incrementals M-Thurs each week.  I want to keep enough backups on disk, that I
can go as far back as 2 months if need be.

I originally set this up to keep 8 fulls, and 16 incrementals (2 months of
fulls but only 1 month of incrementals which could be a problem if a file was
created and deleted during the same week between 1-2 months ago).

After doing some reading, I also realized that the incrementals are basically
differentials since I left them set at the default IncrLevels value of 1.

So, if I wanted to keep the same philosophy, I would essentially just need to
bump up the number of incrementals to keep to 32 correct?

Just wanted to make sure I'm understanding the use of incrementals with
BackupPC and of course that this makes logical sense.