BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Off-site backup options (slightly OT)

2015-07-08 14:07:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Off-site backup options (slightly OT)
From: Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 10:48:54 -0700
Greetings -

     I am running BackupPc to backup 8 desktop systems (mostly Windows)
in my office to a CentOS 6 VM on my in-house server.  It currently takes
about 150GB of storage space.  I would like to replicate (on a daily
basis) the backup to an off-site system for disaster recovery purposes.
I have searched through the archives and read much discussion about
this, which generally concludes that using rsync to replicate the backup
is not appropriate.  Tim Massey's post of 2/22/2011 sums up the options
pretty clearly.

* For most people, rsync does not work to replicate a backup server
effectively.  Period.  I think *no* one would suggest this as a reliable
ongoing method of replicating a BackupPC server.  Ever.

* The best methods for this boil down to two camps:
         1) Run two BackupPC servers and have both back up the hosts
directly
                 No replication at all:  it just works.
         2) Use some sort of block-based method of replicating the data

* Block-based replication boils down to two methods
         1) Use md or dm to create a RAID-1 array and rotate members of
this array in and out
         2) Use LVM to create snapshots of partitions and dd the partition
to a different drive
         (I guess 3) Stop BackupPC long enough to do a dd of the partition
*without* lVM)

     My backup pool is located on a separate LVM partition and I have
some spare disk space, so I can do LVM snapshots.  But my primary
question is that I am looking for recommendations for a 3rd party
off-site storage vendor that is set up to accept dd'ing a LVM snapshot
to a partitioned space.  I am completely open to all options here, as I
have not worked with any off-site storage vendors previously.

     Please cc me directly as I only receive the digest version of the
mailing list, which appears to be only sent out about once a month.  Thanks.

Jeff

--

Jeff Boyce
Meridian Environmental