BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with multiple restores

2015-06-17 09:04:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with multiple restores
From: Andy Taylor <andy.taylor AT sift DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 14:01:08 +0100
Hi Holger/Les,

Thank you for the suggestions. We ruled out it being a corrupt attrib file by running a full backup. In the end we implemented a script which carries out the following:

1. Exports the latest backup of a folder to the BackupPC server via BackupPC_tarCreate
2. Rsyncs that folder to our network file share server
3. Deletes the restore from the BackupPC server

This seemed faster than doing a tar directly over SSH, and seems to be working well for us so far. The 'big picture' is that our developers use the restored files on the network file share server as copies of live website files, so when they are developing they can be sure they are looking at relatively up-to-date copies of the files which are on our live servers. We could have rsynced those files directly from the live server, but using BackupPC saves on duplication and has the added benefit of testing our backups.

Thanks again for the help.

Andy

On 23 May 2015 at 12:57, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2015-05-22 11:53:10 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with multiple restores]:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Andy Taylor <andy.taylor AT sift DOT com> wrote:
> > Thank you for the advice Les. I compiled rsync 2.6.9 and tried a restore
> > with it. It seems to hang now once it's got past the last file of the
> > restore - I've run strace against the rsync processes and I can see it close
> > the last file and then just hang, with this sort of output:
> >
> > [pid 15625] select(4, [3], [], NULL, {53, 660732} <unfinished ...>
> > [pid 15624] select(7, [3 6], [], NULL, NULL <unfinished ...>
> > [pid 15662] select(1, [0], [], NULL, {6, 915513}) = 0 (Timeout)
> > [pid 15662] select(1, [0], [], NULL, {60, 0} <unfinished ...>
> > [pid 15625] <... select resumed> )      = 0 (Timeout)
> > [pid 15625] select(4, [3], [], NULL, {60, 0} <unfinished ...>
> > [pid 15662] <... select resumed> )      = 0 (Timeout)
> >
> > Do you know what that might indicate about the restore?

perhaps a corrupt attrib file, as in: one end of the connection is expecting
[much] more data than the other end sends. This would seem to fit in with your
error message from newer rsync versions as well as the fact that it only
happens for one host. Have you tried forcing a full backup for that host?

> [...]
> What's the big picture here?

Whenever I revisit this thread, I immediately think "BackupPC fuse module?",
but I haven't used it myself yet, so I can't give you any detail. But it might
well be something to look into - providing it fits into the "big picture" you
haven't given ;-).

Regards,
Holger