BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Make a Inc to Full

2015-06-04 17:51:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Make a Inc to Full
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: cvoelker AT knebb DOT de, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 23:49:18 +0200
Hi,

Christian Völker wrote on 2015-06-04 18:34:29 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] Make a
Inc to Full]:
> [...]
> But now I created a VM where I took a lot of snapshots and the VM was
> backed up by my script and BackupPC. Fine so far- but all snapshots got
> removed after backup.
>
> Now I have my snapshot in ab Incr backupc. As I want to keep the
> snapshot at least for a year: is there a way to upgrade this incremental
> backup to be a full one? Or to prevent BackupPC removing this single
> incremental one?

no, but you can restore the files from the incremental backup and back them up
again in the next full ...

I don't think there is a good way to ensure that files that only exist for a
short time will be present in your backups for a long time. You'd need to time
their existance to coincide with a full backup that will be kept for a long
time. When using exponential backup expiry, that may prove challenging.

Regards,
Holger