BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Manual delete script

2015-05-07 17:41:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Manual delete script
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 16:40:26 -0500
Hi,

On 2015-05-07 2:24 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gerald Brandt wrote on 2015-05-07 12:54:51 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Manual
> delete script]:
>> Sorry.  I'm trying to delete specific backups.  Some older fulls that I
>> don't need anymore.  If I recall, the script took the computer name and
>> the backup number as arguments, and deleted the files and updated
>> anything else it needed to.
> I believe 'rm' will get you most of the way. It sort of takes the computer
> name and backup number as arguments, too:
>
>       rm -r $TopDir/pc/hostname/num
>
> It doesn't check dependencies, though, so it will mess up any incremental
> backups still depending on the backup you are removing. It will also leave the
> line for the backup in the backups file, so BackupPC might still show the
> backup in the web interface (I'm not sure whether it checks for the directory
> or not). This is easy to fix in a text editor. It also won't remove the
> corresponding backup log file. Again: rm.
>
> If I remember correctly, the script you were referring to went to some trouble
> to handle backup dependencies correctly, as well as delete individual *files*
> from one or more backups, including fixing the attrib files, which is far more
> difficult. It sounds as if you don't need all of that.

I have a script that keeps backups for a period of time... weekly fulls
for 5 weeks, monthly fulls for 12 months, and yearly fulls for 7 years.
So the delete script I had is very much needed.  Cron runs my scripts
every Sunday to keep things clean.

I have a matching script that forces full backups on Fridays and the
last day of each month.  BackupPC is set to never expire full backups.

The old manual delete script was great.  I wish I could find it again...
I left it at an old employers site, and no longer have access.

>> It didn't run nightly though.
> I wonder why everyone is so obsessed about running BackupPC_nightly *now* (for
> every possible value of "*now*"). BackupPC runs it anyway. Each day. Or
> rather, each night. Running it *now* rather than in a few hours doesn't make
> your hard disk(s) weigh less, consume less power, produce less noise and heat
> in the time between, because the file system is less full.
>
> I see two reasons for wanting to run it out of schedule, and I'll omit both of
> them here. Chances are, if you *think* you need to run BackupPC_nightly, you
> really need more disk space.
I tend to agree.