BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Manual delete script

2015-05-07 15:28:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Manual delete script
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 21:24:33 +0200
Hi,

Gerald Brandt wrote on 2015-05-07 12:54:51 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Manual
delete script]:
> Sorry.  I'm trying to delete specific backups.  Some older fulls that I
> don't need anymore.  If I recall, the script took the computer name and
> the backup number as arguments, and deleted the files and updated
> anything else it needed to.

I believe 'rm' will get you most of the way. It sort of takes the computer
name and backup number as arguments, too:

        rm -r $TopDir/pc/hostname/num

It doesn't check dependencies, though, so it will mess up any incremental
backups still depending on the backup you are removing. It will also leave the
line for the backup in the backups file, so BackupPC might still show the
backup in the web interface (I'm not sure whether it checks for the directory
or not). This is easy to fix in a text editor. It also won't remove the
corresponding backup log file. Again: rm.

If I remember correctly, the script you were referring to went to some trouble
to handle backup dependencies correctly, as well as delete individual *files*
from one or more backups, including fixing the attrib files, which is far more
difficult. It sounds as if you don't need all of that.

> It didn't run nightly though.

I wonder why everyone is so obsessed about running BackupPC_nightly *now* (for
every possible value of "*now*"). BackupPC runs it anyway. Each day. Or
rather, each night. Running it *now* rather than in a few hours doesn't make
your hard disk(s) weigh less, consume less power, produce less noise and heat
in the time between, because the file system is less full.

I see two reasons for wanting to run it out of schedule, and I'll omit both of
them here. Chances are, if you *think* you need to run BackupPC_nightly, you
really need more disk space.

Regards,
Holger