BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Usage of BackupPC in large environment

2015-02-27 08:11:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Usage of BackupPC in large environment
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 07:50:55 -0500
On 02/27 10:57 , Marios Zindilis wrote:
> I have used BackupPC in the past for a network of a couple hundred servers.
> The limitations will be in the capabilities of the hardware and/or the
> network, in which case you might need to use multiple BackupPC servers.
> This will depend on your scenario (i.e. YMMV). I estimate that a good ratio
> of BackupPC server per clients is 1:50 (one BackupPC server backs up 50
> clients) using relatively cheap servers for backups (single CPU, ~8GB RAM,
> commodity non-enterprise class SATA disks).

I agree with the suggested ratio as a starting point. It's a very good idea
to have multiple BackupPC servers.

a) It spreads out the bisectional bandwidth of the backup process, since
it's an 'embarrassingly parallelizable' problem.
b) Each backup server can back up the configuration of the other backup
servers, thus avoiding the chicken-and-egg problem of "how do you restore
your backup server when it dies?"
c) Important backup targets can be backed up on multiple backup servers,
in case one of the backup servers happens to be dead when you want to
restore a backup.
d) It becomes easy to geographically distribute your backup servers (to
different buildings, cities, or even continents), depending on bandwidth
availability.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator