BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tdb_transaction_recover: attempt to recover read only database

2015-01-09 08:05:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tdb_transaction_recover: attempt to recover read only database
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 07:02:58 -0600
On 2015-01-08 05:33, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> When attempting to back up Samba shares on a Linux host using BackupPC
> version 3.2.0 (yes I know that's quite old:) and the 'smb' method, the
> message given in the subject line appears frequently, followed by:
>
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING_REQUIRED

This relates to a few known bugs in smbclient processing the name of the
server; you may get some mileage out of shortening the name to 8
characters or fewer and only using uppercase letters.  Then again, you
might not.

> The other backup clients are all Windows boxes - a couple of servers
> and a few dozen workstations, all conected via a gigabit LAN.  They
> don't seem to give this problem, or if they do it's only rarely.

Unless they're running the same version of Samba with the same bug, I
wouldn't expect them to have the same problem.

> Nothing useful has appeared in my searches and the specific function
> name does not seem to appear anywhere in the BackupPC list archives.

That's because you'll find it in the smbclient code.

> There are five Samba shares on the machine, see log extract below.
> When one share backup fails, the other shares to be backed up in that
> backup run are not even attempted - but there are usable backups, so
> this isn't a great worry.
>
> Clues how to start debugging it would be gratefully received.

Well, since it's an smbclient issue, you'll want to start there.  Source
code is available, and it may be sufficient to compile the latest
version from source rather than using a buggy packaged version (I'm
looking at you, Ubuntu.)  Of course, with the source, you can debug it
using the standard toolchain as you see fit.

However, let me echo what Holger said, in that it's probably better to
move to a more robust transport with native semantics like rsync.  If
it's local anyway, tar should also work fine.