BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tdb_transaction_recover: attempt to recover read only database

2015-01-08 14:07:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tdb_transaction_recover: attempt to recover read only database
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "G.W. Haywood" <backup AT jubileegroup.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 20:03:55 +0100
Hi,

G.W. Haywood wrote on 2015-01-08 11:33:40 +0000 [[BackupPC-users]
tdb_transaction_recover: attempt to recover read only database]:
> When attempting to back up Samba shares on a Linux host using BackupPC
> version 3.2.0 (yes I know that's quite old:) and the 'smb' method,

you mean "odd", right? ;-)

You've stated the solution yourself:

> [...] The shares
> are also backed up remotely using rsync over a chain of (relatively
> slow) wireless links, and that gives no trouble.

rsync also works well over a fast local loopback interface or even a simple
UNIX pipe :-). The only advantage I can see of using smb for a localhost
backup on a Linux machine is that you can change the file system layout and
only have to change the Samba configuration, but that hardly seems worth the
headache, unless you do so on a regular basis.

I recommend you change your backup to rsync with a "sudo rsync" type
RsyncClientCmd (assuming you need root privileges to read all files). You
*can* limit that to read-only backups of certain paths via appropriate
entries in /etc/sudoers, if you feel so inclined.
After all, if you ever restore anything, restoring the exact files,
ownerships and permissions on the file system accessed by Samba has no
disadvantages over restoring what Samba presents to Windoze clients
through Samba.

> The other backup clients are all Windows boxes - a couple of servers
> and a few dozen workstations, all conected via a gigabit LAN.  They
> don't seem to give this problem, or if they do it's only rarely.

There is no reason you can't continue to run smb backups on those.

> Nothing useful has appeared in my searches and the specific function
> name does not seem to appear anywhere in the BackupPC list archives.

I doubt the problem is related to BackupPC. "tdb" sounds like a Samba
database to me (which also explains why Windoze servers don't exhibit
the problem ;-). From the Samba perspective, you might want to continue
investigating, in case you've got something there that might turn into
a problem (or already be one). Then again, maybe it's just unusual strain
on the Samba server caused by the backup process (reading many files in
a short time frame). From the BackupPC perspective, just circumvent it :-).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger