BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups

2014-11-30 21:35:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:33:39 -0600
On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 6:28 AM, Bodo Eggert <7eggert AT web DOT de> wrote:

>>So, you need to ensure that the largest file you want to transfer will
>>successfully transfer without error within a single backup attempt.
>
> Is this new behavior? I'm using Version 3.3 (Ubuntu), and since skipping
> one file does not count as failure, and since that file isn't written
> since the full backup, it doesn't get backed up in subsequent
> (incremental) backups.

You can 'skip' a file due to permission problems or having it deleted
between reading the directory and starting the copy.  That's not the
same as actually failing to transfer due to losing the connection -
which will always terminate the backup.

> Also, whenever theren is a connection problem, all the downloaded files
> from the next, incremental backup are thrown away. I'm currently
> circumventing that problem manually.

The next backup after a partial full should always be another full,
which will only be kept if it transfers more files.   You either need
to fix whatever is making the transfer fail or exclude the files that
can't be transferred.