BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups

2014-11-30 18:35:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Retrying failed files from a full backup in subsequent incremental backups
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 10:34:18 +1100
On 30/11/14 23:28, Bodo Eggert wrote:

>> On 28/11/14 12:59, Bodo Eggert wrote:
>>> If a file from a full backup failed to transfer, what is the best way
>>> to make a subsequent, incremental backup include these (few) files?
>>>
>>> The remote system is a Windows system, reachable using rsyncd.
>> If a full backup failed, then the next backup will be a full backup, but
>> it will use the partial backup created by the failed full backup, which
>> will include all changed files, up to (but not including) the file it
>> failed on. I think this will mostly give you what you expect, just keep
>> in mind when you say "(few) files" it actually means all files and
>> directories after the file it failed on.
>>
>> So, you need to ensure that the largest file you want to transfer will
>> successfully transfer without error within a single backup attempt.
> Is this new behavior?

Is what new behaviour?
> I'm using Version 3.3 (Ubuntu), and since skipping
> one file does not count as failure,
How do you define "skipping one file does not count as failure" ?
I suppose it depends on "why" the file was skipped. I think failure due
to permission error, or similar are not considered failures for the
backup overall, so in some cases they will be skipped, while in others,
it will be a fatal failure and the backup will not continue passed that
file.
> and since that file isn't written
> since the full backup, it doesn't get backed up in subsequent
> (incremental) backups.

In addition, an incremental backup failure will never "continue" or be
saved as a partial, only full backups get this benefit. However, after a
few days of failed incremental backups, the next full backup will be
due, and then you will see it saved as partial in between failed backup
attempts.

> Also, whenever theren is a connection problem, all the downloaded files
> from the next, incremental backup are thrown away. I'm currently
> circumventing that problem manually.

Correct for incremental backups, but not for full backups.

Although I think that is a config setting, so your config might be
different to mine (ie, keeping failed full backups is a config setting,
I don't think there is any option to keep failed incremental backups).

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au