BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes (No Ping)

2014-11-11 10:06:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes (No Ping)
From: tschmid4 <tschmid4 AT utk DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 15:04:57 +0000
Samba server is a different box than Backuppc.

So, I can ping the backuppc server from the server I need backed up and visa versa.

File and Print sharing is enabled on the Windows server needing to be backed up.
What’s confusing me is I can look at the configuration of an existing Windows server and don’t
see ANY of the details many of the articles I’m looking at are telling me.
For instance:
No backuppc user is created.
Volume Shadow Copy service isn’t running
No LMHOSTS file in the Windows directory
Yet, this server backs up on a daily basis.
The BackupPC server is currently backing up 6 Linux boxes, and 6 Windows boxes.
The Samba server is functioning as is.
The trouble I’m having is determining what fraction of the steps I need to simply add 1 Windows
Server to the existing configuration.
All BackupPC configurations on the new server are identical to existing serrvers.
Just get the no ping (no ping response) when starting a backup.

Terry