BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc Exclude trouble

2014-11-10 15:59:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc Exclude trouble
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:56:49 +0100
Hi,

jdurand wrote on 2014-11-10 12:33:54 -0800 [[BackupPC-users]  Backuppc Exclude
trouble]:
> Trying to exclude opened files ~*.*, ntuser.dat.log, etc, but having
> trouble. Tried several different suggestions, all turn out to do nothing.
> I am not using excludes and includes simultaneously. See below for my
> exclude lines:

which XferMethod? smb?

> Share *
>
> /Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings
> [...]
> */Cache
> Thumbs.db
> /RECYCLER
> */Temporary Internet Files
> /System Volume Information
> *.pst
> ~*

The problematic thing with Windoze backups seems to be that any one exclude
not working can get you stuck without giving much debugging help to determine
which one it is.

> There were several variations like ? in spaces, tried backslashes,
> wildcard placement ~* or ~*.*.

As far as I can remember, you need backslashes, and you need to *double* them
(i.e. quote them for Perl to retain a single backslash in the value). That
*might* depend on the version of smbclient you are using. Strictly speaking,
it also depends on your $Conf{SmbClientFullCmd}/$Conf{SmbClientIncrCmd}. If
you have a shell script in there, quoting issues would become even more
complicated.

Of course, you could always switch to rsync(d), where exclude syntax is
different and more flexible :-).

Regards,
Holger