BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best practice/s for backing up a VM??

2014-10-29 02:39:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best practice/s for backing up a VM??
From: "Dr. Boris Neubert" <omega AT online DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 07:40:16 +0100

Am 28. Oktober 2014 21:46:26 schrieb Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au>:

> On 29/10/14 07:00, xpac wrote:

> > Currently I have BackupPC set to simply backup the entire directory which
> contains the .vmsd, .vmx, .vmdk, etc files.
> >
> > Is there a "better"/recommended/best practices way to do this that is
> different than what I am currently doing?

> You could in theory take a snapshot of the LV that the disk image sits
> on, mount the snapshot, then create the "chunks", and then umount/delete
> the snapshot, or any similar method, though a restore will produce an
> image of a "crashed" machine (like power failure crashed).

That's what I do except for creating the chunks. The drawback about the
large files is that the initial backup takes days to complete. In addition,
I use the snapshot feature to be able to revert to previous version of the
VM. I therefore keep only one full backup at all.

I plan to refine this by additionally use BackupPc on certain virtual disks
with user data.

HTH
Boris