BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best practice/s for backing up a VM??

2014-10-29 01:11:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best practice/s for backing up a VM??
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 06:09:10 +0100
Hi Adam,

you are right about the issue with backing up large files- and the vmdk
files are hughe. Up to now I decided against this way. Instead I backed
up the files from inside the VM *and* backed up all files from the VMs
directory but excluded *vmdk files. So I have the configuration files
backed up and can easily restore the files within.
But your idea with the chunks is a good one, too.

> 1) shutdown the windows VM (or otherwise get the disk image in a
> consistent/static state
> 2) split the disk image into a series of 100MB "chunks" and save to
> another folder
> 3) startup the windows VM
Can you tell me how you are creating the chunks? I could use "split",
but won't BackupPC/ rsync treat them as new files -despite of the same
content because of ctime? Do you delete the 100MB chunks after backup?
Otherwise it would consume double disk space...

Thanks!

Christian