BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How does backuppc really work?

2014-07-01 10:30:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How does backuppc really work?
From: Paolo Basenghi <paolo.basenghi AT fcr.re DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 16:28:45 +0200
Il 01/07/2014 15:37, HAL9000 ha scritto:
> So, while the documentation does do a pretty good job at getting people up
> and running it doesn't say much about what is going on behind the scenes. My
> specific question regarding this is how after the backuppc server logs into a
> remote machine using ssh then backup the data to the backuppc server.
>
> How, once logged in to the remote machine, does the remote client machine
> send the information to be backed up the backuppc server? Does it go back
> through the same ssh tunnel that was created when logging into the client, or
> does it make a new tunnel altogether?
If you set the rsync backup method, SSH client (on backuppc machine) and
SSH server (that must be running on the machine being backed-up) open an
encrypted tunnel following the SSH protocol. This tunnel becomes the
transport layer for the rsync perl library on backuppc side, that
instantiate the rsync program on the other side and get the data to backup.
The only other method involving SSH is "tar" backup method. In that case
the SSH server on the remote side is requested to start a remote tar
command with its standard output redirected on the local ssh client via
ssh tunnel. The ssh client will in turn redirect his output through the
backuppc tool chain that will fill the backup pool in the right way.

This is my understanding of the process.

Bye