BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Windows 7 client goes to sleep during backup

2014-06-08 14:24:51
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Windows 7 client goes to sleep during backup
From: "Edward A. Hildum" <ehildum AT comcast DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 11:23:12 -0700
I'm using a Centos 6 system running BackupPC 3.3.0 to back up a small
home network of mixed linux and windows PCs.  I recently added a windows
7 (professional) box and installed cygwin 1.7.29 on it. I'm using rsync
over an ssh tunnel to back it up.  I've got password-less ssh running,
and rsync works fine, as long as the machine stays awake.  The problem
is that windows puts itself to sleep before the backup can complete.

I've got wake-on-lan working, so I can wake the machine up if it starts
out asleep, and I can run commands on it via ssh, so I can use
powercfg.exe to (supposedly) set power options.  I have tried creating a
power scheme on windows that disables sleeping and prevents spinning the
disks down for long enough to do a back up.  I can use powercfg to
switch to that power scheme -- I can log in and see the power scheme has
changed -- but windows still goes back to sleep in a few minutes.

Does anybody know a way of telling windows not to sleep that will work
if no user is logged in?

Thanks,
Ted