BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup destination is another server

2014-06-04 14:11:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup destination is another server
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 18:51:41 +0100
On 20/05/14 14:16, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 05/20 02:15 , brononius wrote:
>> I was thinking to sync the data the first time locally, then move the backup
>> server to the remote site.
>> This way, the only copies that need to be copied are the changed files. And
>> not the complete 2TB.
>
> I have done this in the past, and as long as you have enough bandwidth and
> not too much changed data, it's perfectly workable.

Two things I use for backups of low bandwidth clients is make sure you
have--one-file-system set to avoid getting more backups than you expect
and also set rsync --max-size= to limit the size of files. This avoids
the mistake of leaving a large file (think .iso / .tar.gz) and slowing
your backups down. Just use this with care for obvious reasons.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>