BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup never finishes

2014-05-08 10:37:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup never finishes
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 09:35:41 -0500
On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Mark Maciolek <maciolek AT unh DOT edu> wrote:

>>> What else should I be looking at?
>>>
>> Are there any NAT gateways or statefirewalls between the server and
>> target?  Sometimes those will time out and block an established
>> connection that appears to be idle for some time - and sometimes rsync
>> can appear idle for a long time.
>>
> hi,
>
> No NAT gateways or statefirewalls, the server and client on same network.
>   traceroute shows 0.193 ms  0.191 ms  0.183 ms
> It is taking up 98% of cpu, the other backups running are only using 30-35%
>
>   If I cd down deep to the client backuppc folders, I will see a new
> file every few hours.

If it is still working, just very slowly, it could be any of several
issues.  Bad network connections, swapping to disk at either end, etc.
 Or, certain files can just take a long time to process,  Large files
with small changes can be slow as the server has to
uncompress/compare/copy the previous version and merge in the
differences to reconstruct a new copy.   Also 'sparse' files as used
in some types of databases can be slow as only way to copy them
involves reading through the unused space.   You might be able to
identify these files, exclude them, and find a better backup approach
(for example databases usually have their own way to make a consistent
backup).