BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rename of directories error and other oddities...

2014-05-06 20:39:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rename of directories error and other oddities...
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 20:37:48 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 01:48:55 +0200 on Wednesday, May 7, 2014:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Rob Morin wrote on 2014-05-06 15:02:34 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Rename of
 > directories error and?other?oddities...]:
 > > To fix the issue I simply did the following...
 > >
 > > mv /usr/bin/rename /usr/bin/rename.orig
 > > ln -s /bin/mv /usr/bin/rename
 >
 > won't help. BackupPC doesn't use /usr/bin/rename, it uses the Perl rename()
 > function named after the system call. Actually, /usr/bin/rename is a Perl
 > script. I'm not sure about the syntax, but I vaguely remember it's intended
 > for renaming several files, applying a Perl regexp substitution to the file
 > names, so you've likely just got the syntax wrong (the manual page seems to
 > agree with that assumption).

Not quite true...
On debian systems, 'rename' is indeed a perl script calling the perl
rename function. Interestingly, usr/bin/rename is a link to
/etc/alternatives/rename which in turn is a link to /usr/bin/prename
(where presumably the 'p' stands for Perl)

On Fedora/Centos/Cygwin, 'rename' is a (standard) linux binary utility
in the standard util-linux (Linux utility) package.

The usage (unfortunately) is *not* the same... which is a pita since I
have needed to modify my scripts depending on what linux distro they
are running on...