BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - slow generation

2014-04-11 10:48:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - slow generation
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:47:15 -0500
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM, MtK - SmartMtK <mtk AT smartmtk DOT com> wrote:
> the judgment is made by the fact that up until recently it worked fine with
> TimeOut = 60, and now it doesn't.
> it is also not related to APACHE, because switching to NGINX, didn't show
> any improvement...

If the apache settings you posted earlier really made any difference,
it would only have been from the number of extra processes you had
running and how long they ran before restarting.

> I thought it was the RAM, which is not, because double the amount didn't
> affect at all.

If your host resources are already overcommitted, giving a VM more RAM
may not actually make that RAM available until it needs to be stolen
from some other VM or made available by flushing a host disk buffer to
disk.

> you also think it might be some other resources, but in fact the process
> seems to be stuck, and not using any resource.
> if you have any idea how to verify that, it'd be great...

I usually assume that any delay long enough to notice is waiting for a
disk head to move until proven otherwise - because that is orders of
magnitude slower than other computer operations. If you have other VMs
sharing the same disk head, they probably want it to be somewhere
else.  Since you've said that if you configure apache to wait longer
it eventually completes it clearly isn't 'stuck', it is just waiting
for some slow operations.   A brute-force sort-of way to see what a
process is doing is to run 'strace -p'  with the process id which with
apache/mod_perl would be one of the httpd instances. With nginx it
will be whatever you set up to run the cgi program.  You'll get a lot
of output but you might be able to get an idea of what is taking time
to complete.  Just keep in mind that with VMs there is another layer
between the system calls you see and what physically happens.