BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool directory is using more than 500GB space.

2014-03-20 01:30:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cpool directory is using more than 500GB space.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Aravind R <aravind.r AT nocme DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:28:55 -0500
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Aravind R <aravind.r AT nocme DOT com> wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> I have tried to check each and every directory separately.
>
> cpool]# du -csh 0
> 28G     0
> 28G     total
> cpool]# du -csh 1
> 40G     1
> 40G     total
> cpool]# du -csh 2
> 28G     2
> 28G     total
>
> Seems like each directory contains GB's of datas. Will be there any issue if
> I delete these files?

Yes, it won't free up any space because there are also links under the
pc directories and space isn't released until the last link is removed
(and no processes have the file open).  And, the next time you back up
the matching content it won't find the match and will thus use more
space for a new copy.   The backuppc_nightly job clears these files
after the link count goes to one - which happens when all of the
backup runs with links have expired.