BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync building file list takes forever

2014-03-04 12:55:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync building file list takes forever
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:39:08 -0500
"Dr. Boris Neubert" <omega AT online DOT de> wrote on 03/04/2014 12:23:15 PM:

> What was irritating to me was the rsyncd log entry "Building file
> list..." with nothing else afterwards and the empty BackupPC host
> XferLog during backup. In fact the backup was already transferring all
> the files all the time.

That *is* very annoying.  Basically, writes to that file are buffered, and it will only write the data to the file in big chunks (kilobytes at least).  Those big chunks might reflect *gigabytes* of data in just a few dozen lines, and yes, that can mean hours between updates.

Get used to using top/vmstat/dstat...  ;)

Glad it worked for you.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!