BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync building file list takes forever

2014-03-04 12:24:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync building file list takes forever
From: "Dr. Boris Neubert" <omega AT online DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 18:23:15 +0100
Am 02.03.2014 00:03, schrieb Les Mikesell:
> 'Hours" to start a backup doesn't seem like a real showstopper.   What
> happens if you just let it run over a weekend?
Thank you. Sometimes a change of perspective is enough to see the
problem... PEBKAC.

I was biased by the first run, which for some reason hung and needed to
be stopped after 20 hours. I then never waited for the subsequent trial
runs to complete and stopped them after 4 hours of supposed inactivity.

After your message I did as recommended and accomplished a successful
initial backup after 7 hours.

What was irritating to me was the rsyncd log entry "Building file
list..." with nothing else afterwards and the empty BackupPC host
XferLog during backup. In fact the backup was already transferring all
the files all the time.

> Checksum caching only works after the 2nd full run - and it only saves
> work on the server side.
In the meantime I ran two incremental backups which were fast (100
minutes for the first one coping with several tens of GB of additional
image files and below 1 minute for the second one with no changes at all).

Conclusion: it works as expected. Thank you very much for your advice!

Cheers,
Boris