BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ignored $Conf{BackupFilesExclude?

2013-11-22 12:42:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ignored $Conf{BackupFilesExclude?
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:05:00 -0600
> Hey guys, due to the sym-links in a windows 7 documents folder my backup
> is failing;
>
> create d 755 0/0 0 My Music
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 4340 filesExist, 57366015 sizeExist,
> 20727265 sizeExistComp, 4341 filesTotal, 57368111 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \\*)
> Backup aborted (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \\*)

You'll probably get better results using a backup method that can handle
symlinks, if you're interested in preserving these.  Of course, exclusion
works, too.

> So I added the following line to $Conf{BackupFilesExclude}
>
> ['\My Music', '\My Pictures', '\My Videos'];
>
> The same error occurs. It appears that the backup is ignoring the
> exclusion rule. Im using the correct string format according to the
> documentation;
> Examples:
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = '/temp';
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/temp']; # same as first example
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/temp', '/winnt/tmp'];
>
> Any suggestions?

It's probably worth pointing out that although you say you're using the
correct string format according to the examples, you're using backslashes
where the examples clearly show slashes.  They're not the same, and
treated differently semantically by samba, Linux, Windows, perl, and by
extension, BackupPC.

Samba can be touchy about that sort of thing, and the semantics can change
from version to version, so some experimentation might be involved, and
I'll also offer the caveat that I don't use samba to back up Windows
machines for obvious reasons, but you probably want to simply leave out
the slashes altogether.