BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to get a email notification weekly

2013-11-18 03:22:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to get a email notification weekly
From: Juergen Harms <juergen.harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:21:13 +0100
On 11/18/2013 06:29 AM, Alexander Moisseev wrote:
>> >As the title, I have set up a backuppc server on ubuntu and it runs ok so
>> >far. And I want to get an email notification about the backup status
>> >instead of check everyday on server.
>> >
>> >Any tips or piece of document will help.
>> >
> BackupPC don't send periodic mails, but you can set a cron job.
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=52613000.1080806%40galilee.fr&forum_name=backuppc-users

But BackupPC does automatically send email to the system administrator
when it sees an irregualarity. There are several ways to avoid that mail
to the system administrator (root by default) disappears in a black
hole. I do a combination of two things:

1. define the system administrator as harms@localhost (I dont know how
this is done in Ubuntu, but should be easy - harms is my login name)

2. set up an account for the email address "harms@localhost" in my email
user agent; that, again this is specific to what you use. Thunderbird
allows to do this by creating an account of type "unix mail spool".

This way of doing has the advantage that I see - and get notified about
- new mail in that account just as for my ordinary mail.

Personally, I do not want to be plagued by periodic health messages
which normally just say OK - I have the habit of periodically (>= 1 week
intervals) having a close look at what is going on - could be automated,
not worth while for mem, though

Juergen