BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd full backup

2013-10-31 15:04:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd full backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:01:45 -0500
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan
<sharuzzaman AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>
> Based on short session of troubleshooting, I believe the machine actually
> suffer from low I/O speed to the disk. Average read is about 3 MB/s, which I
> considered slow for a SATA disk in IDE emulation.

Where are you getting that number?   hdparm -tT  device_partition_name
should show about 30MB/s for the lower number even for old IDEs and at
least 2 or 3x that for SATA with a SATA controller - even old ones.

> I'm planning to suggest to the customer to have a RAID 1 setup to increase
> the I/O speed. I'm looking at possibilities to speed things up by not having
> to change the overall setup.

RAID1 is a good idea to protect against a single drive failure, but it
won't make a lot of difference in speed.  Writes go to both, reads can
overlap if the software is smart.   But, if you are currently running
RAID5, using bigger disks in RAID1 would help.