BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd full backup

2013-10-30 23:14:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd full backup
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:13:42 +1100
On 31/10/13 13:56, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> The low I/O is when the machine is under load.
>
> Thank you for suggesting to use SSD. I have been thinking about that
> as well, but currently, the storage of BackupPC is using a 1TB disk,
> with about 80% utilization.
>
> Changing to 1TB SSD might be a little bit overkill on the customer's
> budget :)

Sure, 2 x 480GB SSD in linear RAID is still relatively expensive :)
though it certainly is a huge performance improvement. BTW, FYI, I get
2.5GB/s read and 1.5GB/s write performance from my RAID5...

> Maybe I should look at bcache for Linux :)
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/497024/
> http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/

I've seen that also, but I'm not sure it is a good (stable) solution for
real use (at least, I'm not prepared to use that for a server yet, your
tolerance might be different). In addition, it probably won't help the
backup work load, since you need to read the entire disk, and the entire
disk won't fit into the cache....

Regards,
Adam

--