BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Parameter for incremental backups on localhost using tarCreate.sh script

2013-10-19 00:47:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Parameter for incremental backups on localhost using tarCreate.sh script
From: Phil Reynolds <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>, backuppc-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 05:45:51 +0100
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 01:11:35 +0200
Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:

> getting quoting right is an endless source of fun ...

Looks like it...

> > > [...]
> > The log shows:
> >
> > Running: sudo /usr/local/bin/tarCreate.sh -v -f - -C /
> > --one-file-system --totals --newer=2013-10-13 08:36:07 .
>
> Basically, you would need to get quoting right within the shell
> script. I don't really understand the need of a shell script, though.
> What, exactly, was the point? It appears tarCreate.sh is adding a
> '-c' option. Your sudo rule can enforce that just as well (and in a
> way less prone to creating security holes).
>
> backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/tar -c *

Hmmm... I'd not thought of that as an option - the documentation I read
claimed the script was better than merely allowing tar, which it is...
but my limited experience of sudo meant I wasn't aware of the
possibility you mention.

> If you drop the script and just use sudo, you would need $incrDate and
> $fileList without a "+".

Will try this...

Planning to see what rsync is like as a method once I've perfected tar
- then I'll go with whichever seems to cause me least bother.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com