BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Parameter for incremental backups on localhost using tarCreate.sh script

2013-10-17 16:29:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Parameter for incremental backups on localhost using tarCreate.sh script
From: Phil Reynolds <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:27:14 +0100
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 14:38:35 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Phil Reynolds
> <phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com> wrote:
> > I am having problems backing up the localhost using a tarCreate.sh
> > script - I can do full backups, but the date and time seems
> > impossible to present properly for incrementals.
> >
> > $Conf{TarIncrArgs} = '--newer=$incrDate $fileList+' as recommended
> > by the documentation fails to escape the space between the date and
> > time. Leaving it at the default as for a remote host
> > ($Conf{TarIncrArgs} = '--newer=$incrDate+ $fileList+') is also no
> > good, as the unnecessary escaping makes the parameter so that tar
> > fails to understand it.
> >
> > The net result in both cases is a failed backup, because tar tries
> > to stat something derived from the time, as if it was a filename.
> >
> > How can I get round this problem?
>
> Are you sure your shell script is receiving the date as multiple
> parameters?   Or is it parsing and breaking on the space in your
> script or the command line being handed to tar?

Hmmm... it looks possible the breaking is happening in my script - and
it's the one referred to in the documentation.

The log shows:

Running: sudo /usr/local/bin/tarCreate.sh -v -f - -C /
--one-file-system --totals --newer=2013-10-13 08:36:07 .
incr backup started back to 2013-10-13 08:36:07 (backup #0) for
directory /
Xfer PIDs are now 10225,10224
/bin/tar: Option --after-date: Treating date `2013-10-13' as 2013-10-13
00:00:00
/bin/tar: 08\:36\:07: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com