BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup a Windows Server through BackupPC to an external linux host

2013-10-11 07:43:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup a Windows Server through BackupPC to an external linux host
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Antoine Migeon <antoine.migeon AT u-bourgogne DOT fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:40:30 +0200
Hi,

Antoine Migeon wrote on 2013-10-11 10:31:16 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] backup a
Windows Server through BackupPC to an external linux host]:
> I want to backup a Windows Server to a NAS Linux (ideally keep ACL).
>
> I have three host :
>  A : Windows Server, share files (~ 10 million files, 50 To)
>  B : Linux BackupPC, (15 To, workstations backup)
>  C : NAS Linux, very big capacity xxx To (SGI DMF)

I take it you're talking of TB here, right?

> A and B are in the same network, same building.
> C is behind firewall, in other building connected by gigabit fiber. I
> can't easily share a volume (NFS or CIFS) with A or B.
> I can't install BackupPC in host C.
> I can only access host  C with ssh/sftp from A and B (not in root).
>
> In documentation, I read that BackupPC can use a archive host to receive
> backup files.
> It seems that this script adds a feature to save ACL :
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=User_Scripts_-_Client_-_Windows_VSS
>
> Can I use these features to securely backup the Windows Server A in
> Linux server C, without store all files in Linux BackupPC B.

Short answer: no.

You could in theory experiment with sshfs to mount the NAS storage space as
BackupPC pool, but I doubt that works well in any case. For 50 TB of data
it's quite pointless. You'll have to find another solution.

Concerning the archive host question, that gives you the capability of storing
*individual backups* (i.e. snapshots of your data at one point in time). If
you want the features of BackupPC (online backup history over some period of
time, pooling, ...), an archive host is not your solution. In any case, you'd
need the backup in the pool first before you can create an archive from it
("archive" meaning tar file, possibly multi-volume).

If you want that *without the pool*, the solution is rather simple: leave out
BackupPC. Create a tar file of the backup set with smbclient and write it to
the NAS mounted via sshfs. This way, you can even store incremental backups (an
archive generated by BackupPC would always be "filled in", i.e. contain a
complete snapshot including unchanged files). You can learn from BackupPC how
to do it (i.e. smart smbclient command lines, excludes, VSS scripts, ...), but
BackupPC won't do it for you if you haven't got the space for the pool.

> Can I use permanent incremental, without full backup ?

No. Not in BackupPC, and I wouldn't recommend it outside either.
smbclient-based incrementals rely on a timestamp alone. You've got a
significant chance of missing changes in incrementals (files extracted from
zip files with old timestamps, renamed files, files moved to other
directories ...). With regular full backups, you'd catch these changes, so
only a few incrementals would be incomplete. Without full backups, your backup
system would never notice.

You could look at rsync. You'd need one or rather several complete trees of
files on your NAS as backup (rather than one tar file per backup as with
smbclient), but you can access the NAS via rsync over ssh (provided rsync is
installed on the NAS), and you can access the Windoze server via rsyncd (or
rsync over ssh, but rsyncd seems to be easier to set up). There are probably
other backup solutions available that use rsync, so you might look at those.

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: You are aware that BackupPC can use compression on pool files, right?
      15 TB of space for 50 TB of data doesn't sound too good, but I don't
      know what your data looks like. If it is highly compressible, it might
      even fit on the BackupPC server ...