BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Always "Got fatal error during xfer (Unexpected end of tar archive)"

2013-09-27 04:54:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Always "Got fatal error during xfer (Unexpected end of tar archive)"
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:36:37 +0200
Hi,

I am always getting the ssh pipe disconnected when backing up our
internet-based server, using tar mode (both full and incremental).

I know this problem occurs when the line goes down. I tested the ssh
command running apart of backuppc, storing the data to file instead,
under backuppc user

/usr/bin/ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=10 -C -q -x -n -l root HOST
/usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C nice /bin/tar --one-file-system -c -v -f - -C /
--totals --exclude=./proc --exclude=./tmp --exclude=.In\* --exclude=.x\*
--TONS OF OTHER EXCLUDES . >
/mnt/raid/individual_backups/extranet/extranet-full.tar
2>/mnt/raid/individual_backups/extranet/extranet-full.log

It never throws any error, always finishes OK (we have 100Mbps connection).

However, our local backuppc storage raid is relatively slow and rather
loaded, having over 300 mil. backuppc files accumulated over the years.
I am wondering if the slow raid on receiving side could be causing the
"Unexpected end of tar archive" error. The error occurs within range of
two minutes up to over several hours of running the tar backup.

The remote server which always fails is a chrooted server. We are also
backing up the host part of the server (much smaller, but the same
HW/internet line) and it never fails.

Thanks a lot for suggestions and recommendations.

Best regards,

Pavel.