BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync out of memory error...

2013-09-05 10:38:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync out of memory error...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 09:37:31 -0500
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Gregory Malsack <gmalsack AT coastalacq DOT
com> wrote:

> Hi Les,
>
> Thanks for the response. This server is a 64bit server with 8gb of ram. Don't
> really see it running out of ram, but I didn't consider the processes. I'll
> check that!

I've never seen error messages quite like that, but it looks like the
error is coming from the sending side (and a standalone rsync started
by xinetd?).   Note that rsync loads the whole directory structure
into RAM at both ends before they walk the list doing comparisions, so
the amount of RAM needed will relate to the number of files under the
starting point.  If you have a reasonable division under a few top
level directories, you could split them into separate 'shares'.