BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New Pool same issues

2013-08-30 10:01:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New Pool same issues
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:39:40 -0500
> Hey,
>
> after a few years using backuppc on a local storage (internal HDDs) I've
> moved the pool into an external location connected through NFS.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but connecting the pool in this
way isn't such a great idea, due to potential slowness and reliability
issues.

> Since moving the entire pool/cpool/pc was about to take a few days (!) I
> decided to try and use the new location from scratch (without moving the
> backups history).
>
> but now, backups tend to not. finish.
> without an error, just taking too long.
>
> I have 10 PCs, all of them linux.
>
> 6 out of them have a large amount of data, which I would understand the
> long
> backups time. but from the first backups I get this:
>
> .         Full backup took ~570 minutes on Aug. 25th
>
> .         Incr. backup too ~625 minutes on Aug. 26th

You don't say how much data this is, what transport you're using, or what
kind of connection there is between the systems.  This *could* be
impressively fast for what you're working with.  For now, all I can say
is, don't expect miracles out of nfs.

> to stop it.
>
> I rebooted the backuppc machine, and started another manual incremental
> backups at 16:00. still running (meaning, 21 hours and counting).
>
> There are three options, I can think of, where the problem could be:
>
> 1.     NFS/Pool side.
>
> 2.     the PC being backed up.
>
> 3.     the BackupPC machine.

Or the transport, or some options you've chosen along the way.  With what
you've provided, #1 seems really likely, though.