BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Maybe big Issue found with FTP backup and files with no read permission (550)

2013-08-29 07:59:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Maybe big Issue found with FTP backup and files with no read permission (550)
From: "S. Bunge" <sbungeml AT nnga DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:57:12 +0200
Hi,

We're working with backuppc since several years and it is a really great
software. We use it also to backup some external customers and one of
them asked my why our IP is asking for the same file over hours via FTP!

I checked the backup and all looks fine. It took 2 hours but runs with
success. The Client sends me his ftp-log and I could see that we spam
the server with RETR-Requests followed by '550 Permission denied'.
Then I raised the loglevel to 15 in backuppc and I could see the requests:

> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)<<< 230 User myBackupUser logged in
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)>>> TYPE I
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)<<< 200 Type set to I
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)>>> PASV
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)<<< 227 Entering Passive Mode (82,165,77,23,193,26).
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)>>> RETR /logs/traffic.html/.md5sums
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)<<< 550 /logs/traffic.html/.md5sums: Permission denied
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)>>> PASV
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)<<< 227 Entering Passive Mode (82,165,77,23,198,130).
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)>>> RETR /logs/traffic.html/.md5sums
> Net::FTP=GLOB(0x91ab3a4)<<< 550 /logs/traffic.html/.md5sums: Permission denied

My Software:
* Debian Wheezy 32Bit
* Backuppc 3.2.1 from Debian repository
* perl 5, version 14, subversion 2, from Debian repo

I'm also software developer but Perl is not my language. But I spend
some time for investigations about the issue.
The Class Ftp.pm handles the FTP file transfer and uses NET::FTP and
NET::FTP:RetrHandle to use the remote file as a tie.

It seems, that the problem is not in the backuppc-code because I put a
log statement before and in this while loop in Ftp.pm:
>     undef $@;
>     eval {
>         while (<FTP>) {
>             $localSize += length($_);
>             $poolWrite->write( \$_ );
>         }
>     };

The first log statement is executed, the second never. If I do something
like:

> my $content = <FTP>;

The same endless loop occurs.
I couldn't find a way to check the read-permission of the file without
two FTP-get requests. Any ideas to find a work-around?

Can someone prove that this issue also occurs in other installations?
And where is the problem really located? backuppc? RetrHandle of cpan? -
And where do we have to address this problem?

The main problem is, that there is NO error reportet in backuppc. It
seems that the backup runs with success. But if files have to be backup
after the file with insufficient permissions they will be skiped!!

Workaround for me could be to exclude the file. But this is not working.
I'll write another email to provide my results of investigations about
file excludes over ftp.

It would be nice if someone could help me with that issue so we could
provide a patch for the main version.

Thanks and regards from Hamburg,
Sven

P.S.: Maybe the correct mailing list for that is the DEV-ML?