BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Existing files in an empty pool

2013-08-28 07:26:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Existing files in an empty pool
From: Andy Taylor <andy AT tayble DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 12:23:26 +0100
On 2013-08-28 0:00, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Andy Taylor <andy AT tayble DOT com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed BackupPC on a new server, and am slightly confused
> by the results of my first full backup.
>
> I would expect to see zero existing files when I have an empty pool,
> but
> instead I can see the following stats under the "File Size/Count Reuse
> Summary" header:
>
> Total files: 3184
> Existing files: 673
> New files: 5012
>
> I don't understand how BackupPC has identified existing files when the
> pool is empty, and in addition I don't understand why the total file
> count is less than the combined existing/new file count.
>
> The XferLOG for that backup shows the following at the end:
>
> Done: 3184 files
>
> and there are no 'pool' operations listed, only 'create'.
>
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. This is on a CentOS 6.4
> server running BackupPC 3.3.0.
>
> Not sure about the new file count being higher than the total, but I'd
> guess it is counting directories where the others are just files.   As
> for 'existing' files, duplicates will be found as the are added to the
> pool even in the same backup run - but you should see 'pool' entries
> in the xferlog instead of create for them.

Thanks for your reply Les. I did a bit more digging and it turns out the
'New Files' count includes new 'attrib' files which BackupPC creates. I
just ran this from the pc/example.hostname/0 directory:

find . -name 'attrib' | wc -l

Which returned 2501. If I do the following calculation:

Total files + New attrib files - Existing files

so in this case,

3184 + 2501 - 673

I get 5012, the same as the 'New Files' count.

So it would seem that the 'Totals' file count only includes files from
the actual transfer, while the 'New Files' count includes any attrib
files that BackupPC creates, which is a bit confusing. It would seem
more logical to either exclude BackupPC's internal files like attrib
from the counts entirely, or to at least make it consistent and add it
to the Totals count as well.

Still no clue about where it got the existing file count from... there
are no 'pool' operations in the transfer log at all.

Cheers,

Andy