BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving lots of data on a client

2013-08-20 20:59:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving lots of data on a client
From: Raman Gupta <rocketraman AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:56:41 -0400
On 08/20/2013 03:27 PM, John Rouillard wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 02:23:38PM -0400, Raman Gupta wrote:
>> I have a client on which about 100 GB of data has been moved from one
>> directory to another -- otherwise its exactly the same.
>>
>> As I understand it, since the data has been moved, BackupPC 3 will
>> transfer all the data again (and discard it once it realizes the data
>> is already in the pool) i.e. it does not skip the transfer of each
>> file even though the checksum is identical to an existing file in the
>> pool.
>
> That is also my understanding.
>
>> I am using the rsync transfer method.
>>
>> Is there a workaround to prevent all 100 GB of data from being
>> transferred again?
>
> Your mileage may vary on this, but changing the structure of the data
> on the backuppc system to match what is currently present on the
> client should work.  Asuuming you moved the data from:

Thanks John (and Les) for this suggestion. This was my initial thought
as well, but wanted to get feedback from the list before trying it.

I used mv/cp -rl as suggested to create the target structure in the
last full. I ignored attrib files as suggested by John (clearly, the
manipulation of the last full breaks the attrib data, but that is fine
for this temporary hack).

I then deleted all the incrementals after the last full using J.
Kosowski's deleteBackup script, just to be sure they didn't mess
something up. Since they didn't "see" the changes made in the full, I
think they were "corrupted" anyway.

I then ran a new full backup manually, and it worked fine.

Lastly, I debated whether to manually reverse the mv/cp operations
made in the prior last full, to restore it to its original state (with
correct locations and attrib files), or simply delete that full
backup. I think either approach would have been fine, but I opted to
simply delete it to avoid any potential screw-ups.

All-in-all, saved a day or so worth of data transfer successfully.

Regards,
Raman