BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving lots of data on a client

2013-08-20 15:30:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving lots of data on a client
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:28:49 +0200
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:23:38 -0400 Raman Gupta <rocketraman AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I have a client on which about 100 GB of data has been moved from one
> directory to another -- otherwise its exactly the same.
>
> As I understand it, since the data has been moved, BackupPC 3 will
> transfer all the data again (and discard it once it realizes the data
> is already in the pool) i.e. it does not skip the transfer of each
> file even though the checksum is identical to an existing file in the
> pool.
>
> I am using the rsync transfer method.
>
> Is there a workaround to prevent all 100 GB of data from being
> transferred again?

I think the workaround is to use rsync as transfer ;-) At least when you
added the "checksum-seed=" parameter to your config, it should
calculate the checksums on the client and compare with the servers
database and only transfer contents that differ.

Otherwise I would not manually fiddle with the dirs on the server, its
far less stress and risk for error if you just let backuppc do its
thing. Even if that means transfering the files again...

Have fun,

Arnold