BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC - Out of memory , BackupPC_dump killed

2013-08-13 12:16:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PC - Out of memory , BackupPC_dump killed
From: Florian Streibelt <florian AT net.t-labs.tu-berlin DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:14:28 +0200
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:01:25 +0200
 Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de> wrote:

> You are probably using rsync as transfer-method. Which makes perfectly
> sense, since you want to backup many files that don't change, so there
> is no need to transfer all files as you would with tar. Unfortunately
> that means that both client and server have to built the while fs-tree
> with checksums in memory...

exactly my thoughts. And yes, indeed its rsync.

> Two solutions:
>   - use tar as transfer-method. Shouldn't hurt much as on incrementals
> tar only transfers files that are newer and normal mails aren't touched
> again after initial storage.

I could give it a try. Thanks, forgot that option!

>   - define two or more "hosts" in backuppc that backup different parts
> of your mail-store. Then you can also shift full-backups so that the
> load distributes over the days.

that was another idea, I even had the tought of backing up the system with one
host and then each user maildir as (automatically created) "host"

Does it make a difference to define different 'shares' with rsync or is that
even possible?

/Florian