BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync on Windows 8?

2013-07-30 13:19:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync on Windows 8?
From: Andrew Schulman <andrex AT alumni.utexas DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:17:06 -0400
> So I've been successfully backing up Windows XP, Vista & 7 machines to my
> BackupPC instance using Cygwin1.dll, Cygrunsrv.exe, & rsync.exe as a windows
> service.  Then came a Windows 8 laptop to my work.  I tried to install rsync
> on it like I've done with all of the other Windows flavors, but it failed.
> The files are located where they should be, and the service gets registered,
> but when it tries to start the service, it fails.  Event log throws up
> entries like "rsyncd: PID 3092: `rsyncd' service stopped, exit status: 127".
> Cygwin itself gave some slightly more verbose errors in C:\var\log\rsyncd.log:
>
> /rsyncd/rsync.exe: error while loading shared libraries:  cygpopt-0.dll:
> cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory
> /rsyncd/rsync.exe: error while loading shared libraries:  cygiconv-2.dll:
> cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory
>
> Armed with both of these log entries, I downloaded the full blown cygwin,
> extracted it, and found the appropriate .dlls and copied them to my rsync
> directory.  Then it gave me this error:
>
> /rsyncd/rsync.exe: error while loading shared libraries:  ?: cannot open
> shared object file:  No such file or directory
>
> What the deuce?  I have no idea how to troubleshoot this one.  Anyone have
> any suggestions on how to get rsync working on Windows 8?

Could it be that your rsyncd.exe was compiled against different versions of
those libraries?  Since you've already created a full Cygwin installation,
I suggest starting by trying run the rsyncd that's in that.  If that works,
then you can go back to trying to extract just the pieces you need into a
separate directory (or not).