BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Start Backuppc on boot

2013-05-18 09:57:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Start Backuppc on boot
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 08:55:01 -0500
> Tar -YUK . Yes I am using rsyncd and have checked out communications
> both ways with all my clients and the server. There seems to be good
> communications. I've even transfered a file or two.
>
> Each rsyncd.conf file contains a module [backuppc]. In that module I
> made the path = / since I wanted to backup most of the files in each
> computer. This seems to be what backuppc is objecting to. Do I have to
> list each directory under / that I wish to backup? That would be /etc,
> /home, ....... ,/var. Does this have to be done for each computer? I did
> list each /dir separately in the backuppc main configuration file. The
> RsyncShareName is still = / though. I seem to be missing something
> here???? I got this working once before but don't remember how.
>
> Gary R.

RsyncShareName is what corresponds to the rsyncd.conf module name, so you
shouldn't set it to '/', which doesn't match any modules in your
rsyncd.conf.  You should set it to "backuppc" which is actually in your
rsyncd.conf.

A module only corresponds to one path, so not only shouldn't you set it to
each directory, you can't.

If you're using rsyncd, you have to set it up on each computer you back up
-- which is one reason that a lot of people prefer rsync.  (Also it's more
secure, easier to set up, and so forth.)