BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Start Backuppc on boot

2013-05-17 22:47:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Start Backuppc on boot
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 19:48:01 -0700
On 05/17/2013 05:50 PM, Michael Stowe wrote:
>> Ok, I finally just mounted the new storage volume on /var/lib/backuppc
>> and moved the pool files etc to the new disk. This worked but I now have
>> an old problem with rsyncd.
> This is an unrelated problem, of course, but let's start with the obvious.
>   Are you actually running rsyncd?  If so, you will have set up the daemon
> with a configuration that specifies "modules" (which are unfortunately
> named, think of them as similar to "share names") -- they're arbitrary
> names which refers to a path and a set of permissions.  Of course, you'll
> probably also want to make sure rsyncd is running at startup.
>
> If you haven't done that, then you're not running rsyncd, and you should
> probably pick "rsync" instead.
>
>> Attempts to run a backup on localhost gives "Error connecting to module
>> '/' at localhost 837: Unknown module '/' ". I assume that this is a
>> mistake in the RsyncShareName (path in rsyncd.conf's backuppc module) .
>> The man page states "path - This parameter specifies the directory in
>> the daemon’s filesystem to make available in this module. This statement
>> has been copied verbatim in every instruction I can fine. I have no idea
>> what that means. What is meant by the daemon's file system and what is
>> meant by make available in this module. A plain '/' sure doesn't '/'
>> work. Could someone reword this statement so that I might have a chance
>> of understanding it. This is as bad as the last course I took in math
>> analysis.
> Did you actually name a module '/' in your rsyncd.conf?  That error
> suggests you didn't, so you'll want to look in there:
>
> [Stinky]
> path = /home/fishbreath/
> auth users = somedude
> secrets file = rsyncd.secrets
>
> In the example above, "Stinky" would be the module name, and
> "/home/fishbreath" is the path in the daemon's file system to which it
> refers.
>
>> You know, the GUI is great but there are a couple of items in the setup
>> that just keep causing me no end of grief. After i;ve been away from
>> this package for a while I seem to have to go through the same painful
>> steps. I wish someone would clarify the setup for rsyncd and find an
>> easy method of transfering the pool files.
>>
>> Gary R.
> There's always tar, which is pretty straightforward.

Tar -YUK . Yes I am using rsyncd and have checked out communications
both ways with all my clients and the server. There seems to be good
communications. I've even transfered a file or two.

Each rsyncd.conf file contains a module [backuppc]. In that module I
made the path = / since I wanted to backup most of the files in each
computer. This seems to be what backuppc is objecting to. Do I have to
list each directory under / that I wish to backup? That would be /etc,
/home, ....... ,/var. Does this have to be done for each computer? I did
list each /dir separately in the backuppc main configuration file. The
RsyncShareName is still = / though. I seem to be missing something
here???? I got this working once before but don't remember how.

Gary R.