BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep backup data when source host/directory changes

2013-03-07 09:30:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep backup data when source host/directory changes
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:28:37 +0100
Hi,

Mark Campbell wrote on 2013-03-06 07:48:44 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Keep
backup data when source host/directory changes]:
> I've not personally tried this, so someone else who has can comment on
> whether this would work or not, but it seems to me that if you were to
> rename your backups to the new servername, that they would show up for
> the new server accordingly.  These would be the locations that you would
> need to change the server name in:
> -The Backup directory (e.g., /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/<server name>)
> -Inside the hosts file (/etc/BackupPC/hosts)
> -The server config file (/etc/BackupPC/pc/<server name>.pl)

alternatively, you can use ClientNameAlias to point the *old* server
configuration to the new target host. That would mean, you would keep the
server in BackupPC under the old name, but switch the backups to hit the
new server under the new name. I'm not saying this is better, just that
it's also possible.

> As for the differing locations, you haven't mentioned what method you use
> to back up this server.  I use rsync (and I think most people do).  In the
> case of rsync, even with the data being in a different place, you can still
> set up the rsync.conf file on the host to use the same rsync path, pointing
> to a different place.  As an example, let's say that I had data in
> /home/user/data being backed up, and that the rsync path for this was
> rsync://<host>/data1.

I think you are actually talking about rsyncd, right?

Regards,
Holger